I mentioned a few weeks back that I was dropping as many distracting things from my life as to better concentrate and focus on building this startup.
The good news is I’ve doing much better on that front. I’ve been writing code again which has been doubly challenging on the focus front.
The bad news is that this intensity means that I’m blogging less.
Just a few quick observations on the state of web development in 2007.
- Things have come a long way since the web 1.0 days
- We made the decision to go with SubSonic and haven’t looked back. It is a .NET framework modeled after Ruby on Rails. I can’t imagine doing website development without this anymore. There are plenty of scenarios where you might want to roll your own database management layer, but building a feature based website isn’t one of them.
- Visual Studio 2005 + Team Foundation Server = a really nice environment for doing this type of work.
- ASP.NET 2.0 + C# + AJAX.NET = powerful stuff.
- FireBug, the Firefox extension is handy for front end work.
I had forgotten the joys of coding. Seeing the site come alive under our typing fingers is an amazing feeling and one that reminds me daily of why I left my stable 9-5 job for this entrepreneurial life.