This is one of those store it on the intarweb so someone else can benefit deals. Nothing but tech follows.
I upgraded my primary work PC to Vista (RC2).
- My upgrade from XP failed twice before I uninstalled enough stuff to get it working. I believe the culprit was Virtual PC, but I can’t confirm this.
- I really really didn’t want to have to reformat, but I was going down that road, fortunately I didn’t have to (this time). Here’s where syncronization tools can really help. 1) Foldershare 2) Google Browser Sync 3) Exchange/Outlook
- SocksCap is an effective workaround on Vista for Winsock Proxy Client or Windows Firewall Client.
- My attempt to keep the upgrade on the DL are being thwarted by the giant non-customizable (that I know of) Vista welcome screen.
- The nVidia “pro-workstation” Quadra 550 video card actually sucks. I get a 2.6 rating and Aero performance is not very good. I’m leaving it on though because I’m stubborn like that.
- Ad Muncher is having problems with the proxy client, so I switched to FireFox specific AdBlock Plus + Adblock Filterset.G Updater
- I bought a SanDisk Cruzer Titanium 2.0 GB flash drive to be able to run ReadyBoost. I’ve struggled with this all day today. Everything works when I enable it, but about 45 seconds after the cache file is created it disappears. I’ve messed and tinkerered, formatted and reset fifty times, and now it seems to be working — touch wood as they say. Since not all USB memory is created equally, be sure to check the compatiblility chart here first: http://www.grantgibson.co.uk/misc/readyboost/ Also, if you are so inclined, there’s a great ReadyBoost FAQ here: http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/2006/06/02/615199.aspx
- Oh, and I am loving ReadyBoost now that I have it working. I can absolutely tell the difference, especially since my HDD is quite loud on access and I can hear the huge reduction in drive reads/writes when programs load.
Technorati tags: vista, readyboost, rc2, adblock, cruzer
Okay, for the record, my problem was with a bad Sandisk part. I took it back to the store and got another one and I’m up and running 100% now.
According to regedt32, HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\EMDMgmt the bad one was a U3_Titanium Rev 2.18. I was only getting WriteSpeedKBs of 2651 or thereabouts. The one I returned it for is a revision 2.16 and the WriteSpeedKBs is up to 6972.
If you too have a problem with a Sandisk Titanium 2 Gig flash drive, check regedit, and make sure you are getting write speeds of near 6972. If not, send it back and get another one.
oh wait, that’s a usb drive. i opted for an SD card because my laptop has a built in reader and so the profile is smaller 😀
You can find a list of readyboost compatible memory here: http://www.readyboostmemory.com/
If you are willing to buy a car, you will have to get the mortgage loans. Furthermore, my mother all the time takes a collateral loan, which is the most useful.
A lot of specialists say that loans aid a lot of people to live the way they want, because they are able to feel free to buy necessary things. Moreover, various banks present car loan for different classes of people.